IditaLEARN!

03/03/2007

March 3, 2007

Filed under: Iditarod! — iditalearn2010 @ 7:49 pm

Mr. Paulsen showed me a part of the Iditarod trail today via dog team. It was a beautiful afternoon and the temperature was about 10 degrees above zero.

moosethumbnailThe photo attached was taken about five miles from the start of the race. The trail is hard packed and very fast. We passed overflow. Do you know what overflow is? Overflow is when the snow pushes the ice down and the water from the river flows over the top.

We saw two moose this morning on our way to Talketna for some sourdough pancakes.
My pancake took up the whole plate. Blueberries on top. Yum!

The roadhouse restaurant is a famous spot for mountain climbers before and after their climb up to Denali mountain also known as Mt. McKinley.

I’m looking forward to the start of the race tomorrow. We will be helping Randy Cummins get his dog team to the starting line.

Bye for now,

Mrs. Cater

9 Comments

1. Hi! We’re proud of you! Are you cold? How’s the weather? Bring a frying pan with you in case there’s a moose (we remember from last year’s story you told!), and if that doesn’t work, run as fast as you can! Is there a blizzard up there? How are the dogs? Have you seen any bears? We had fun on our snow day on Friday. Can we come with you next year?

From,
    Mrs. J. Palmer’s 3rd Grade

Comment by Mrs. JPalmer's Kids — 03/05/2007 @ 9:58 am

2. Howdy mrs.cater how are you?

Comment by natalie — 03/05/2007 @ 10:06 am

3. I hope your having fun up there love jordan p.s write back. p.s.s have fun!

Comment by jordan — 03/05/2007 @ 10:07 am

4. hope you have a grand time in alaska i cant wait to see who wins

Comment by daniel — 03/05/2007 @ 11:48 am

5. Hi Mrs. Cater,
    We looked at your pictures today, and the scrapbook from 2006. WOW!~ We are tracking the weather too. Hope all is well, and you are warm. We miss you, but will check in daily.
    Love, Mrs. Deans and Mrs. Birno’s Class

Comment by Mrs. Deans/Mrs. Birno — 03/05/2007 @ 4:25 pm

6. Thanks for leaving such nice comments. Due to high winds our plane was able to only do a day trip today and not land at our destination at Rainy Pass.
    Take care,

Mrs. Cater

Comment by Mrs. Cater — 03/05/2007 @ 7:22 pm

7. Hi hope you’re having a good time. I wish you could send me some blueberry pancakes. I love them. Were they wild blueberries?

Was if fun dog sledding today? Did you get to yell commands? How fast did you go?

I’m following Martin Buser for a musher during the Iditarod. He is in 6th place at Rainy Pass with 16 dogs.

I turned in my Iditamath today. It was interesting.

That’s all the time I have now. I will check the blog tomorrow.

We miss you!

Comment by adam+sasha — 03/05/2007 @ 8:23 pm

8. Have fun at the five checkpoints! Have fun, you’re nice, you’re cool, we love you. Some of us had pancakes too! Stay warm. We liked having you for our teacher. Are there bathrooms in the woods for the mushers? Why do they have to have those coats on? How do you stop the sled? Do the dogs wear booties all the time? How do they find a cave?

Love, Mrs. Stadem’s Kindergarteners

Comment by Mrs. Stadem's Kids — 03/06/2007 @ 11:38 am

9. iloveyou. Riya

Comment by mrs.stadem'sclass — 03/06/2007 @ 11:46 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress